We are committed to ensuring that our available resources are used efficiently, that any effects of our operations on the environment are minimized, and materials we use are recycled wherever possible.
Minimal water used to supplement rainfall
- Water is applied in the vineyards by efficient drippers, not overhead sprinklers.
- Soil moisture monitoring to improve water use efficiency.
- Use of recycled water – winery waste & sewerage treatment works.
Limited Use of Chemicals, Care for Soil
- Spray regimes monitored for compliance with government and export regulations.
- Soil structure being improved as rotary hoes are used less.
- Annual cover crops improve soil structure & water holding ability and control weeds in between rows of vines.
- Understanding of soil types to determine requirements.
- Trellising, pruning systems and canopy management to raise the level of leaf to fruit ratio.
- Waste water from washings, storm water from designated areas and some waste processing is collected for processing.
- We seek to reduce energy consumption and thus lower energy related emissions and to alleviate overload on electrical transformers and circuits.
- We monitor energy usage for different processes and particular equipment to determine actions to further reduce energy consumption.
- Green purchasing procedures
- Reduction of packaging